This picture taken in 1933, shows a woodpile behind the old Lindsay Town Hall, ready to be chopped up by transients in exchange for food.
During the depression, there was a steady stream of unemployed men making their way through town by riding illegally on passing freight trains and lodging overnight in the police lockup.
These men would be offered a warm meal by private homeowners in exchange for some work: chopping firewood or cutting weeds, for instance.
Lindsay Town Hall was constructed in 1861 as the town was recovering from the massive fire that destroyed the downtown and has been an important civic building ever since.
The building once housed the Council chambers on the lower storey and an opera upstairs.
It is now the Lindsay Municipal Service Centre