The first library in Lindsay was a reading room, established in May 1860 on the north side of Kent Street near York Street. This building would have been lost in the Great Fire of 1861 that destroyed most of the downtown.
Other reading rooms existed in Lindsay for members who paid at least $1 per year. It wasn’t until 1899 a vote taken made the library free to citizens of the Town of Lindsay, acting under the authority of The Free Libraries Act, 1882.
Today the Kawartha Lakes Public Library is more than just books, though they have those too! They also offer collections of audiobooks, CDs, DVDs, eBooks, local history resources, magazines and newspapers!
The library is also home to the Kawartha Art Gallery which proudly features local artists and advocates for artistic expression throughout the community!